Mark this down as THE day you were introduced to pickleball! ~Chris Lovasco
Say what? I thought Chris was pulling my leg. “You know Chris, if we were in Lynn, that would be an entirely different game than what you’re about to describe…” (What?! It would!) In the center of a full-blown fundraiser and literally just steps away from Dennis “Oil Can” Boyd, I found myself talking squash a.k.a racquetball. My local YMCA has indoor racquetball courts, and it’s become one of my greatest sources of stress relief over the last year. However, like all good things, it will most likely come to an end. With the rumblings of a new local Y in the future, racquetball courts are underutilized and simply take up program space.
So what’s a girl to do when her back is to the racquetball wall? Pickleball, I guess!
A paddle sport created for all ages and skill levels. The rules are simple and the game is easy for beginners to learn, but can develop into a quick, fast-paced, competitive game for experienced players.
- A fun sport that combines many elements of tennis, badminton and ping-pong.
- Played both indoors or outdoors on a badminton-sized court and a slightly modified tennis net.
- Played with a paddle and a plastic ball.
A Game for Everyone
The USAPA currently estimates there are now over 400,000 players actively playing pickleball.
- Pickleball facilities are located in all 50 states.
- Many kids and teenagers play it in physical education classes in middle and high schools.
- Seniors enjoy the social aspects and the ability to stay active in towns and retirement communities.
- Tennis, racquetball and ping pong players love the competitive nature of the sport and regularly participate in competitive tournaments.
Learn more about Pickleball at USAPA! Have you played? Comment below.
Guess who’s back?! It’s been awhile since my last post, and for that, I apologize. I’ve actually been ENJOYING some time off (pun definitely intended). Since the last time I wrote, I’ve been on a quest to discover and pursue my passions. While some may think I should be pursuing a new job, during my last six-plus months of unemployment, I noticed there was one piece of advice I got repeatedly from some of my most trusted peers…
“Enjoy it while you can!”
What does that even mean? Who enjoys unemployment? For the first three months, I could barely get a full night’s sleep, wondering what was wrong with ME. Well, there’s nothing wrong with me. In fact, nowadays I tend to think what the hell is wrong with some people (hashtag #realtalk). When I came to that conclusion, I was able to sleep longer than usual with no regret. And, I definitely don’t spend day after day sitting in front of television (my dad would be proud). I have so much to tell my loyal followers who have been along my side and invested in this journey!
I was on the phone the other day with a woman I know professionally, who was asking about how things were going for me. I explained to her what I had been doing (as I will explain to all of you in the days and weeks to come) and that I was actually enjoying my unemployment. She went on to tell me how she followed my blog and was excited to hear what was next to come. She wished me the best of luck and would be looking forward to my next blog post. I admit, I was floored! People that are not related to me actually READ this blog?! That was all the inspiration I needed. So here’s my short list of accomplishments to get you caught up while I work away at wordsmithing some more posts for you to enjoy! I thank you for taking YOUR time to enjoy this while you can.
Yes, you can actually accomplish things when you’re not a slave to the grind.
- Discovered my passion for volunteerism (aka ‘working for free’)
- Saved Flo’s life…literally (just a little allergic reaction to chemo, no biggie…)
- Designed a new home office (5 years later)
- Became a starving canvas artist (shopping at Michael’s ain’t cheap!)
- I am enjoying LIFE! (we all should try it sometime)
- Wait, I’M a business? (Hello self-employment!)
- Lost 20 pounds and counting (detox, detox, detox)
- Surviving financially (learning how to make Abe cry)
- I’m refocused, re-energized and ready to hit the ground running!
- And I’m enjoying my unemployment…while I can! (time is ticking…)
Stay tuned for more posts!